Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Family Matters

Last night my sister and her kids and my Mom and Dad had dinner together at my Mom's house. After dinner my sister said the kids had no school today so we decided to let her little one Danielle sleep over and she would hang out with me for the day. Her and Grandma had breakfast and then Grandma went to work and Don Don (Nickname for Danielle) was watching TV on the couch until I got up. Next thing I know I hear Don Don crying down the hall towards my room crying "Aunt Nicole the dog bit me in the face" My heart nearly fell out of my chest I was afraid too look. I pulled myself together and calmed her down and went to the kitchen to get some ice. The blood was dripping between her fingers as she was holding her cheek and I felt sick to my stomach. I calmly sat her at the kitchen table and got some ice and some paper towels and wrapped it up and told her to hold it to her face as hard as she could without it hurting. Now I had to call my family and I called my mother first because it is her dog and I wanted to let her know before anyone else so that I could try and keep her calm. She was very upset on the phone but just asked what hospital am I bringing her too I wasn't sure yet but I said I would call her back. Next thing I had to tell my Dad who I knew would be so angry because this was not the first time this dog bit one of our kids he attacked my daughter Jordan about 8 months ago also in the face but only cought the side of her face by her ear and it healed fine thank god. At that time my father wanted to put the dog down because he showed other signs besides this of being unstable but my Mom love's this dog and we thought we could just make sure he was kept away from the kids but you just get lax about it and then like a bad dream it happens in an instant. God I wish it were me I felt so bad for my poor little neice she was so brave and good after what she went through today I am so proud of her. She got stiched up by the plastic surgeon this afternoon and hopefully the scarring won't be that bad but we will see as it heels. This kid is unbelievable she showed me a thing or two about being calm and resilient and I hope to use her strength in my own fight. Finally my sister called me really upset which I knew was coming but I didn't want to be the one to tell her so I waited and I knew when the phone rang it was her. I almost didn't want to answer the phone because I had no idea what to say to her. I answered the phone and she just kept asking me how bad is it and I didn't want to say the truth in front of Don Don so I just said it will be fine but we just need to get her to the hospital to have the plastic surgeon evaluate it. When she asked me point blank if it thought it would need stitches I said yes and I felt her anger and fear and I felt so bad for her especially when she said why did we let this happen again now my beautiful daughter will be scarred for life on her face and for what we knew this was going to happen. She was right but as we all know hindsight is 20/20 and we never really know what will happen so lets just move forward from here and hope for the best. I trust that whatever happens God will take care of it and my neice is always going to beautiful inside and out even if she has a couple of little scars on her face. Unfortunately for the dog this is the last night he spends with our family and with his history I'm sure his fate is sealed but he had some great dog years and I pray that he finds peace either here on earth or in heaven. I feel sorry for my mother who I'm sure is feeling guilty and also will feel very sad because when you lose a pet it is difficult under any circumstances and I know she would never have wanted this for the dog or her grandaughter but sometimes things are out of our control and we just have to grieve and move on. This is a strong loving family and I am proud to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment